VPN is used to hide the real IP address on the internet by replacing it with the IP address of VPN server. The objective is to keep the internet connection secure.
How Hybrid VPN works?
Hybrid VPN is a client VPN that offers VPN service on all devices connected to the router. You can select gaming ports, apps and there is no need to install VPN individually on all devices. This means that you can protect the network without forcing it for VPN.
The steps for configuring Hybrid VPN on Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Pro gaming router are:
- Open a web browser from computer or smartphone connected to the router’s network.
- Enter routerlogin.net.
- Key in username and password.
- The username is admin and the password should be one that is specified during login. Both username and password are case-sensitive.
- Tap ‘Hybrid VPN’.
- Go to ‘VPN setup’. Basic VPN settings will be displayed.
- You will be asked to enter the username and password for your VPN service provider.
- Tap ‘VPN provider’ from the list of service providers.
- Select a country and city for IP address followed by TCP or UDP.
Note: TCP protocol is known to be the most common one on the internet as it is reliable for sending the information whereas UDP is faster but less secure.
- Tap ‘Connect’ and the VPN will get connected after this. Ensure that Hybrid VPN is enabled on the VPN setup page.
- Enable ‘Block traffic if VPN disconnects’ option to protect the devices and app connected to the internet when the VPN gets disconnected.
- Go to ‘Add a device’ from ‘VPN traffic section’.
- Select all those devices which you want to protect in the list.
- Tap ‘Done’.
- Repeat the same steps for all the devices you want to connect to ‘Hybrid VPN’.
- Once you have done with step 15, the VPN is now active and all the traffic will now under protection. If you want to modify the Hybrid VPN go to step 16. With the ‘Add service’ feature, you can add or remove specific services or apps you want to protect. This feature is available under ‘Advanced settings’.
- When you click on ‘Add service’, all the services and apps will be displayed on the screen you can select from.
- Repeat the process till all the services or apps get added to the protected list.
- If prompted to select the mode, select ‘Only VPN services’. Otherwise, this option is set by default. To bypass the VPN from selected services or apps, you can select ‘Don’t VPN these services’ option.
Note: If you keep on adding a device without specifying any service or apps, you may come across the following errors.
- If ‘Do not VPN these services’ is enabled by default, all the traffic will be routed via VPN.
- If you have selected ‘The only VPN these services’, no traffic will be routed via VPN.
- Your Hybrid VPN is active now and all the devices and services are protected.