VPN offers you to access the home network even when you are away from home. You can use the network securely from far away location to your home. Apart from this, if you are out of the country and want to access the content which is only available in your region, then you can make use of VPN service which will hide your current geographical location. For using the VPN services, you must connect the router to the internet. There are multiple ways to locate the router:
- Using Dynamic Domain name server.
- Another option is using a public internet address of your router.
Do check the Dynamic DNS service and static IP address settings of the internet. Anyone out of the two must be enabled. VPN service works only with the open client but not with any other clients.
Now, we are going to discuss steps for using VPN service on Nighthawk router using Android device:
- Turn on the computer which is connected to the router either via wired or wirelessly.
- Launch a web browser from the desktop shortcut and enter routerlogin.com in the address space. You can launch any web browser installed on the computer but it should be running the latest version.
- Enter the default name which is ‘Admin’ in the first box and ‘Password’ in the next box.
- Tap ‘ Log in’.
- You will find the home or basic page on the screen.
- Go to ‘Advanced setup’ from ‘Advanced’ menu. Under this, you will find ‘VPN service’.
- Click to enable VPN service. Don’t forget to click on ‘Apply’, once you have done with changes.
- Tap ‘For smartphone’ to download open VPN configuration.
Note: You must check the TUN/TAP port numbers which are meant for PC and smartphone. It must be different from each other for open VPN.
Default values: TUN mode: 12973 for phones.
TAP: 12974 which is for personal computers.
- After downloading gets finished, open the folder to extract the smartphone.zip file.
- You will find four files with different names. Open the one that contains only single file with name ‘smartphone.ovpn’.
- Connect the Android phone to the computer with the help of USB cable.
- Open phone storage and start creating a folder where you want to save all four files from the unzipped OpenVPN config folder.
- Paste the 4 files in android phone folder.
Note: You have the option to send all these four files to your smartphone through email as well. Download the files in your phone and start unzipping in a new folder.
- Unplug the phone from the computer and connect it to a different network.
- Open ‘OpenVPN’ on android phone.
- Get ‘Client3’ file.
- Click on ‘Connect’ to get connected to the VPN.
- Wait for the connection to get established.
You have now successfully configured VPN on Netgear router with Android phone.