There are two ways to setup router, one is through web-interface with auto-method and another one is with the help of menus and screens to set it up manually. Before starting with the steps, make sure that the ISP settings are available in the computer and other devices.
When you start your internet service, the internet service provider provides all the information that is required to connect to the internet. There is a need of below-mentioned information for setting up the router.
- The ISP information for DSL account.
- Internet service provider based login name and password.
- Fixed or static IP settings.
If you are not having all this information, then contact your Internet service provider. If you are having a working internet connection, then there is no need to launch any login program for accessing the internet. When you open the internet app, it will automatically start the router.
To start Netgear web-interface, you must launch a web browser on your computer after which the basic setup will start after 15 minutes.
The steps to set up the Netgear router using the web interface are mentioned here as follows:
- Power on the router by pressing the on/off button.
- Make sure that the router is connected to the computer or to the other device via Ethernet cable or wirelessly with security settings listed in the table.
Note: If you want to change the router settings, then connect it with the Ethernet cable instead of using wireless connection because it may get disconnected in-between.
- Open an internet browser.
- When you launch the browser, the screen displayed in the front depends on how you have accessed the router before.
- For setting up the internet connection for the router, you need to enter routerlogin.net. This will display the Netgear repeater setup page.
- If you have already used this interface, then click to enter the router address directly into the URL space of your browser.
- Read on-screen instructions to go through the steps to connect the router to the internet.
- If your browser doesn’t display the web page, you need to check the below-mentioned things:
- Check that the computer is connected to any of the LAN port out of the 4 ports either wirelessly or with Ethernet cable.
- Check whether the router is drawing enough power or not. This can be checked through the Power LED displayed white.
- Close and re-open the browser after clearing cache and cookies.
- Go to routerlogin.net.
- If you have set the computer to receive the static or fixed IP address, then change it to ‘Automatic’ mode to receive the IP address automatically from the router.
- If you find a problem in connecting the router to the internet, then follow the steps mentioned here as under:
- Check the settings: Ensure that everything is entered correctly and selected the right option.
- Contact the Internet service provider and ask for correct configurations on different devices. Sometimes there are some settings which can be done with the help of service providers only but not on your own.