Hackers always try peeping into your wireless network by hacking the wireless password you have set. However, if you have not changed the default password of your Nighthawk router, then they can easily get into your router and steal important details.
By knowing the manufacturer details from the website or from manual, hackers can easily get details about the default username and password. Other sources include PDF manual available on Netgear Nighthawk online page.
To set up or change the default admin password, you need to follow the steps which we are going to discuss here as under:
The steps may vary according to the model number of the router. Do check the router’s manual first before proceeding further. Read all the safety measures properly before performing any action on the router.
When you update the router’s password, all the data and details of your router’s login will get deleted and you will have to configure it again with new encryption and SSID.
- Press and hold the reset button: You will find the reset button at the back of your router hardware. Press it for 30 seconds. When you release it, the router will reset and come to factory default. In some routers, you may need a sharp tip device for pressing the reset button.
- Connect the computer to the router with Ethernet port: Some routers only support wired connection for changing the settings of it. So, it is recommended to connect the router to the computer via Ethernet cable. You will find the Ethernet LAN port at the back of your computer. Go to Administration page after this.
- Enter the IP address of your Nighthawk router in the web browser: The IP address is a combination of numbers followed by a dot. By default, the IP address for all Netgear routers is 192.168.1.1. If you fail to log in through this address, then check the address written here as under:
Still, if you are getting any trouble, you can check the IP address of the router from respective website. You will find the latest IP addresses from the official web page.
- Enter default login username and password: The default username and password is given on the manufacturer website or you can also check from the manuals. If you want to check the same from hardware, then check the sticker pasted at the back of it. The default username is ‘Admin’ and password is ‘Password’.
- Changing the router’s admin password: To change the login password, go to ‘Settings’ page from the home page of Netgear Nighthawk router. You will find ‘Change router’s password’ option. Click to change or reset it.